Sunday 24 February 2008

Santogold

I went to do some interviews with Santogold this week.
She's a US singer who's worked with the likes of Mark Ronson, Spank Rock, Diplo & Switch; & has been likened to M.I.A
So I headed down to the K West hotel in West London on Thursday morning for a chat with Santi...

Who are your musical Influences?
Bad Brains, Devo, Nina Simone

What are your style influences?
I really love old, cheap knock-offs, I think it’s hilarious, & I live in this neighbourhood where you can get them. I like a lot of vintage stuff, I like mixing crazy patterns & colours. I think that I dress the same way that I make music. Just a bunch of different influences & elements; & then I just mash them up all together.

What was your most extravagant buy?
I bought a really stupid car, I bought an Escalade, I didn’t know it was a rapper car either, I just like big trucks. I mean I really use them – it snows, I go snowboarding & I had a band. So I was really using the SUV, but it was dirty cos I really am not into nice cars, it was more like I’m into feeling big & tough when I’m driving, you know? Then this little 11 year old kid was like “that’s the ditchyest Escalade I ever saw!”

What was your favourite song whilst growing up?
The Smiths have been one of my favourite bands for as long as I can remember & I have this same CD, which is so scratched up, which I’ve had since a child that I still listen to at least once a month. The Smiths & it was called ‘The Smiths’, it was that CD. My favourite song is 'Still Ill', which is on there.

What do you want your listeners to feel when they’re listening to your music?
I want them to feel inspired to challenge themselves to not fit into any box. I want them to challenge themselves to be creative & to really think about who they are as individuals & what they have to say, you know, what they’re point is, as an individual - & not have anyone decide that for them




Listen out for her AA single 'L.E.S Artistes / Creator' - I really like Creator

I saw her live last December at Hoxton Bar & Grill & I was really impressed >>>>

Photobucket

She even got Spank Rock up on stage with her >>>>

Photobucket

(Juicy Gossip: When I was in New York over the Summer, I would see Spank Rock out quite a bit - he is totally bisexual. He would be hanging out in the club with his boyfriend, but then we would catch him staring at my friend)

No comments: